Saturday, January 29, 2011

Good Recipe for Meatballs

I made meatballs for our spaghetti yesterday and they turned out pretty good. Of course you can add or subtract to your own personal taste. And I don't use measurements so I will try as best I can to tell the correct amount.

Meatballs:

Ground Beef (any kind is fine, I use ground chuck)
Italian Sausage (again, any brand is fine, I used Bob Evans but might try Johnsonville next time because the Bob Evans can sometimes be grizzly.)
Garlic (about a big spoonful - minced fresh cloves or I use the Christopher Ranch minced garlic in the big jar) 
Ricotta Cheese (a couple of spoonfuls)

Three Cheese Bread Crumbs  (about a cup of it or so until mixture is pasty but not dry.)
One Egg
Mozzarella Cheese (about 1/2 cup just to add a little cheese to it)

Bouquet Garni Seasoning ( A pinch will do the trick.  Do not add to much or you will overpower the meat! -   I use the Penzeys Spices brand for this.  It is a mixture of savory, rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, dill weed, marjoram, sage, and tarragon)
Salt and Pepper to taste

 Mix together the filling ingredients in a bowl.  Add two parts meat to one part sausage and mix well by hand, making sure that the meat gets fully kneaded into the filling.
Form into balls and cook on medium heat in a skillet until firm feeling and browned.  I use tongs to turn them over.  Turn frequently to avoid overcooking.  This will prevent the meatballs from falling apart.  Once cooked you can add them to spaghetti sauce or throw them in the crock pot with barbecue if you want.  They are good for both.

Also, sometimes I will add finely chopped onions into my mixture.They are good too.So enjoy!  This is not an exact recipe and as a reminder, it is always better to add the ingredients in smaller amounts and add more instead of adding too much and not being able to take away.  Tweak it or use it as I do.  If you do try this recipe, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment