This is a great easy recipe I got out of The Taste of Home October/November 2012 magazine. The preparation is quick but since you are using a slow cooker, the cook time is long. So make sure to prepare in the late morning/early afternoon if you want it to be ready for dinner! I also made a few changes which you can read about after the actual recipe.
Slow & Easy Minestrone
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 3 Celery Ribs, cut into 1/2" slices
- 2 Medium Carrots, cut into 1/2" slices
- 2 Small Zucchini, cut into 3/4" slices
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Shredded Cabbage
- 1/4 lb. Sliced Fresh Mushrooms
- 1 Small Onion, chopped
- 2 garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. Dried Basil
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/3 cup Quick-Cooking Barley
- 1 can (15 oz) Cannellini Beans, rinsed and drained
1. In a 4-5 qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours. **Note: I cooked on high for about 4 1/2 hours before adding the beans and barley.**
2. Cook Barley according to package directions; stir into soup. Add beans; heat through.
**Note: I just added the barley in without cooking first and let it cook in the soup.**
**Changes I made: I used garlic and olive oil diced tomatoes, added 4 cups vegetable broth, used 1 large zucchini, nixed the mushrooms, and added an extra carrot.**
I didn't get a final picture because we were hungry and ate it up! There are a good amount of left overs which I will freeze for another meal. This recipe was super easy to make and tasted great. It is also healthy and full of nutrients! Bonus!
How do you make your Minestrone Soup? I would love to hear other ideas for a great cold weather meal!